Guidelines - Creating New Accelerated Masters Programs
The Graduate College offers exceptional undergraduate students in selected majors the opportunity to earn both a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in as few as 5 years. The Accelerated Master’s Program (AMP) is for the top undergraduates in participating majors who plan to continue in a graduate program in the same, or closely related, UA discipline. Go to Approved AMPs for a list of currently approved AMPs.
The Graduate College has established minimum AMP Admission Requirements; however, departments may set additional or more stringent requirements. Interested students should check with the department offering the AMP regarding the graduate program admission criteria.
Units planning to create a new accelerated master’s program should become familiar with the general AMP Degree and Tuition Policies.
- Provide information regarding the proposed accelerated master’s program following the New Accelerated Master’s Program – Implementation Request format.
- Obtain signatures of the proposing unit’s administrator and department or committee head and college dean or Director of Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs. Signatures serve as verification that the proposal has received faculty approval through appropriate department/college curricular procedures and that the unit has the resources to support the certificate. In some situations signatures of more than one dean or department head may be required. If the certificate has a commitment of resources (e.g., course offerings, faculty or staff time, etc.) from other than the initiating unit, a memo of support from the collaborating department(s)/committee head and collaborating college dean is also required.
- Forward the completed documents to Pam Coonan (email@example.com) and Janet Sturman (firstname.lastname@example.org). A complete proposal packet consists of:
- Accelerated Master's Program - Implementation Request (WORD)
- Signature Cover Page (WORD)
- Budget Projection Form (Excel)
Refer to the Accelerated Master’s Program Approval Process for information on required approvals.